MASONIC TEMPLE FOR BROUGHTY
Broughty Ferry was on Saturday invaded by a Masonic host about 400 strong and under the command of the Earl of Dalhousie. They came from all parts of the County, and their mission was to lay the memorial stone of the Masonic Temple which is being erected in Brook Street by Lodge Broughty Castle (No. 486), and show their fraternal interest in the enterprise of their Broughty brethren. The stone was laid with all the ceremonial rites of the Craft by the earl of Dalhousie, the Right Worshipful Junior Grand Warden, and the function attracted much public interest.
The proceedings opened with a meeting of the Provincial Grand Lodge of Forfarshire, following upon which the brethren were marshalled in processional order, and with the ‘Artillery Band’ at their head, marched to the scene of the ceremony. The parade was quite an imposing one. The members of the local Lodge being supported by a representative company from the Provincial Grand Lodge; St Thomas, Arbroath (No. 40); Operative, Dundee (No. 47); Ancient, Dundee (No. 49); St Ninian’s, Brechin (No. 66); St David’s, Dundee (No. 78); St Vigean’s, Arbroath (No. 101); St James’, Brechin (No. 123); Thistle Operative, Dundee (No. 158); Forfar & Kincardine, Dundee (No. 225); Panmure, Arbroath (No. 299); Lour, Forfar (No. 309); Camperdown, Dundee (No. 317); Albert, Lochee (No. 448); Bruce, Froickheim (No. 593); Dalhousie, Carnoustie (No. 679); Progress, Dundee (No. 967); and Grange, Monifieth (No. 1073).
The Provincial Grand Lodge was represented by the following: - Baillie Wilson, Carnoustie, P.G. Master-Depute; R C. Y. Myles, Arbroath, P.G. Master-Substitute; Mr A.C. Anderson, Arbroath, P.G. Secretary; Mr D. Dundas, Arbroath, P.G. Treasurer; Rev D.D. Maclaren, P.G. Chaplain; Mr. Peter Gray, Dundee, P.G. Senior Warden; Mr James M. Webster, Dundee, .G. Junior Warden; Mr T. Buick, Dundee, P.G. Senior Deacon; Mr George T. Beattie, Carnoustie, P.G. Junior Deacon; Mr D.D. Beaton, Froickheim, P.G. Bard; Mr C.H. Birse, Brechin, P.G. Standard-bearer; and Mr John Ross, Dundee, Director of Ceremonies.
There were also present Provost Lindsay and ex-Provost Baxter Gray.
The ceremony began with the singing of the National Anthem, and this was followed by prayer offered by the Provincial Grand chaplain. The architect (Mr Harry Thomson) then handed to the Earl of Dalhousie a trowel, with which to perform the ceremony, and the Provincial Grand Secretary and the Provincial Grand Treasurer having obeyed his Lordship’s behest to place coins &c., in the cavity of the stone, the company joined in singing the 100th psalm, while this was in progress the stone was lowered and the Junior Provincial Grand Warden, the Senior Provincial Grand Warden, and the Substitute Provincial Grand Master having in turn applied the Plumb, the Level and the Square respectively, Lord Dalhousie remarking that it remained with him to finish the work, gave the stone three knocks. Then the contents of the Cornucopia were thrown upon the stone by his Lordship, followed by wine and subsequently oil, and the ceremony was complete.
Lord Dalhousie afterwards briefly addressed the brethren. He recalled that Lodge Broughty Castle received its Charter in 1868, and that his ancestor was one of the signatories. For many years the Lodge occupied the only hall in Broughty Ferry, and that hall was used for many other purposes, amongst others mentioned by his Lordship as a Police Court, as a meeting place for the Town Council, and as a place of worship for the Baptist congregation. For many years the Lodge met there, but at last they were left without a home. During the last 4 years, however, they had shown themselves very much alive, and they had to congratulate themselves that when that building was completed they would have a Lodge-room that would be second to none. And they were to secure that Lodge-room, he understood, without being as much as a penny out of pocket, as the revenue from the shops on the ground floor would provide the money to meet the expenses of the building. He thanked them for the honour they had conferred upon him in asking him to be present and wished them many years of prosperity (Applause.)
Re-forming the Masonic party, with the band in attendance, marched back to the Good Templar Hall, where the Provincial Grand Lodge was duly closed.
The Masonic brethren of Broughty Castle Lodge met yesterday in the Good Templar Hall, whence they marched in processional order to Beach Parish Church. In the church an appropriate service was conducted by their Chaplain, Rev James Burgess.
The Temple was completed in July 1912 when the Provincial Grand Master, Brother ex-Provost David Stewart and Provincial Grand Lodge consecrated the premises for the use of Freemasonry.